The weather this year has been all over the place. Two days ago it was 37 degrees and today it got up to 83. Is it any wonder that Benjamin and I have been feeling a bit under the weather? When I’m not feeling well, I turn to simple comfort food. For me, that means my childhood favorite—tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich! This meal only takes a few quality ingredients to be a success.
I recently picked up the new and improved Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse® Hearty White Bread. I love that it’s thick-sliced, making it especially great for “Texas toast” or soft croutons. Just butter and toast both sides on the stove, before sandwiching and melting copious amounts of your favorite cheese. (For me, that’s sharp cheddar.)
No soup is complete without croutons, but especially not tomato! Before you make your sandwich, go ahead and get those croutons in the oven. Soft croutons are not only delicious but they’re super simple to make. This is also a great recipe for a child who is eager to help in the kitchen!
How to make croutons
- 3-4 slices of Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse® Hearty White Bread
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Seasoning of your choice. I used Italian Seasoning.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a clean pair of kitchen scissors, cut the bread into small pieces.
- Toss in a bowl with a splash of EVOO. Sprinkle the seasoning and toss. Add EVOO and seasoning if needed. Be careful not to soak the bread or it won’t toast well.
- Place on a lined cooking sheet (with parchment paper or non-stick foil) and bake for 10-15 minutes. I moved around/flipped about halfway through and mine were perfect at 12 minutes.