Spend time outdoors. Encouraging curiosity and a love of nature will help your kids to appreciate and respect nature. Take nature walks. Allow your children freedom to play in nature. Discuss how to be respectful to living things.
Watch nature and animal documentaries. There are SO many great animal-centric documentaries and series available on Netflix. They’re absolutely stunning to watch, as well as inspiring. The more you expose kids to nature in this way, the more they’ll grow to love nature. The more they love nature, the more they’ll care about and want to protect it.
- Plant a garden together. Like I said, my green thumb is hit or miss, but we love to try. Plant herbs to use in your cooking or flowers for the bees.
- And speaking of bees, you can get a wooden insect house for your backyard. These are great for housing all sorts of insects.
- Read nature books! This is our favorite, and I’ll admit to having a bit of an obsession. I’ve added several of our favorites to my Amazon shop, here.
- Change up your mode of transportation. If you live close enough to your child’s school, consider walking or riding bikes to and from. Even doing this once a week will help you save money and help the environment.
- Recycle. Donate. Repurpose. This can be a lot of fun with kids. Be creative. Establish good habits.
Do you have other ideas? I would love to hear them in the comments!